Tuesday, February 07, 2012

White Loaves-Tuesdays With Dorie


I am not really one to keep white bread in the house. Occasionally I will tote home a soft loaf of potato bread if I know we will home and eating in. Other than that we just don't eat that much bread.


About once a month I make a loaf of bread. I like the process, enjoy the challenge, and it usually costs fraction of the price of a store bought loaf.



















Good things happen when there is a loaf or two around since it is treat to have around. The best thing that happened to this loaf of bread came as a soft whisper waking me up Sunday morning, the first morning in weeks that J has stayed home. The next was the familiar smell of cinnamon toast and the sound of him singing as he poured coffee.


Then the cinnamon toast and sweet, creamy, hot coffee were in my lap as I was curled up with another episode of Downton Abbey.



Pulling fresh baked bread out of the bread box reminds me that we are very lucky people. Breakfast in bed reminds me that I have made the best choice in the entire world, making me even luckier.

I am very excited to be part of the baking group, Tuesdays with Dorie. Like countless other fans of Dori Greenspan I think she hung the moon over the baking world. I own several of her cookbooks and now plan on baking my way through Baking with Julia as part of this group.

The first recipe, white loaves, hosted by Laurie and Jules was a simple task of making a yeasted bread. It turned out splendid and is the perfect sandwich slice or better yet a vehicle for cinnamon, sugar and BUTTER! 

Submitted to Yeastspotting

11 comments:

  1. Such beautiful photos! I really want to start taking part in more blog challenges!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! They have baked through Around My French Table by Dori as well. This one was perfect timing and I owned the book already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cinnamon toast and Downton Abbey - sounds perfect to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a huge Downton fan too. Your bread photos make me want to make it again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't help smiling as I read your post. Aside from my love of Downton Abbey and knowing that I, too, made the perfect choice in husbands, my bread was also turned into cinnamon toast. I hope your Texan loved it as much as we did!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree - Dorie can do little wrong in my mind. French Fridays with Dorie is still an active (and open group) - you may want to hop over :-) It's a great crew.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You should join French Fridays with Dorie - so much fun, and the book is terrific! Hope to see you over there also. Your photos are really terrific! I'm also a little jealouse about breakfast in bed - my bread didn't get that reaction.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How great! I bake bread about once a week as much as I can, sometimes we just get too busy, but I absolutely love the process! And it thrills my husband when I make bread for our family! Its just a great hobby!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I had more time I would definitely bake more bread, or at least I think I would. Even if you don't eat a lot of white bread, the bread you do eat looks delicious and is out of your very own oven...how satisfying!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What is it about homemade bread that makes our everyday experiences so special? And when you have a special morning like the one you describe, it's even better. Lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete

THOUGHTS & COMMENTS.....