Monday, February 13, 2012

Five Years Ago



It might be hormones, it might be trauma, but I think it is a deep love that has tears rolling down my face as I try and wrap my head around the fact that five years ago today John and I, surrounded by family tied the knot, barefoot on a Mexican beach. Five years ago. I remember the day like yesterday.


I honestly had no idea what love really was five years ago. I had no idea what it would take to sustain a relationship, a marriage. To think what it has took to make it this far gives me confidence in what we face together in the many years to come. 


We have been through a lot together, seen even more beautiful places, countless adventures, changes in jobs, careers and some gut wrenching heart aches. Today, more than yesterday, last week, last year our devotion to each other has created a love unparalleled.


As we stood on the beach, we made a commitment to each other to be husband and wife, to love each other. In the following years, I learned what love was. Love is a choice and an action. Love is not how he makes me feel but what we have to offer each other. Love is a choice and an action.

I have learned more about myself being in a loving relationship with John than I ever imagined possible. I have been challenged and held accountable to my weaknesses, my selfishness, my guilt. This is love. We have faith in each other, faith that we will constantly strive to be better people individually and bring that into our relationship.


I have learned that love is not full of roses, a stomach full of butterflies, chocolates and jewelery. Love is the sacrifices that we make to sustain a relationship. Love is providing for each other. Love is the small things, the actions that make life a sweeter together then apart.



My Grandma and I were chatting on the phone the other day and she started to talk about John. Being in her 70's, I think she has some wisdom to share from the years she has under her belt. She told me that women dream of having the affection that John shows me. She told me he is different than most. I agree Grandma, I agree.


I love you with all me heart John. Loving you is the best choice I have ever made.

All the photos were on or days surrounding the wedding taken by our loving families.

4 comments:

THOUGHTS & COMMENTS.....