Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Really Franklin Barbecue? This is Austin, TX!


I have just proven to myself that I am just not a big city chica.

With that said, I bet Franklin Barbecue is the bee's knees, if you can hang with the hype. Hype. HYPE.


If you are familiar with city life please enlighten me. How do you put up with crazy long waits, inflated prices and never feeling hip enough? Seriously. There was a time that if there was a fifteen minute wait on a Friday night we would stroll somewhere else to eat. I am more patient these days but still have a hard time swallowing the prices.


As we rolled into Austin, Texas for a few days on our recent adventure, I was stoked to finally get the opportunity to get my slice of Franklin Barbecue. It was early in the day still, creeping up to the noon hour. After much confusion over the actual location of the current and only Franklin Barbecue, we landed and I of course got rather excited, did a jig as we strolled up to the turquoise accented building and the end of the long line of good folks eager to get a helping of brisket, ribs and sausage.


Surrounded by friends, an energetic three year old and family, I was distracted for a good chunk of time. A sweet lady soon came to ask us if she could brink us something cold to drink. She came back toting several cold Shiner Bocks and Dr. Pepper in a glass bottle and asked if we were expecting ribs because by the time we would be able to place our order, in two hours, they would be out of that but most likely still would have brisket.


The beer went down easy, it was cold and crisp, the way beer should taste in the summer, the way beer should taste in the Texas summer.


Two hours.

Two more hours.

I got some Franklin Barbecue, the line that is. The wait. The line that wraps through the dining area, snakes out the door, down the steps, in the sun and into the parking lot.


Two hour wait. On a Tuesday - before noon.

Not kidding for a second.

This summer has been a scorcher in Texas. Triple digits for days on end. Hot wet humid heat. The kind that is crippling, leaving one searching for shade, reprieve and cold beverages. It is for real. No weather to be standing in line, on pavement in direct sun.


The last thing we wanted to do was waste our precious hours in Austin waiting in line to eat food that might be sold out. We decided unanimously and in unison to blow the wait ad walk to the nearest restaurant, which would most likely be good since we are in Austin, Texas, food central.

Speaking of Austin and all the great food you must listen to this Guy Clark song, makes me all weak in the knees and restrain myself from purchasing another trip to the Lone Star state just to eat.


There you have it, I tried Franklin Barbecue, tried to eat there but I would have consumed enough beer by the time I got to order that there would not have been any more room for the real meal deal, the best Barbecue in the United States according to Bon Appetite.

I will side with Guy and rest assured that Austin is full of great food, not just at Franklin Barbecue.

Have you been to Austin? Ever ate a Franklin Barbecue? Do you live in a big city and wait hours for your favorite food? Please do share.

No comments:

Post a Comment

THOUGHTS & COMMENTS.....