Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Caramelized Onion Hummus


I made it through college alive, amazing feat as I think back upon it, some people didn't. Time has slipped in several years between now and those dazed college years, I warmed many different houses, churned through a couple of boyfriends, and phased out a few different hair cuts. 


The first two years were uummmmm..... well I can't really remember them. The truth comes out, don't be like me. The first two years of college in my quiet but increasingly eclectic hometown,  I lived with my best friend in a cute little cookie cutter house on Sunset Drive, across the street from a beautiful Greek church. I had my first compost pile and I grew dahlias from my grandma at this house. There was lots of natural light that I did not appreciate and a wall of my bedroom was wood paneling, teek wood paneling, it was gorgeous. We had an apple tree as old as time and a useful clothes line in the back yard. We laid in the grass, next to the apple tree, for hours working on our tans and sipping iced tea. We were young and carefree, she sang all day long and let me wear her clothes, she listened, rolled her eyes and gave me big hugs as I churned through a couple boys, looking until I found the keeper, she forgave me as I grew into the much more sensible woman I am now. A true friend.


My friend skipped the whole college gig and went straight to work, we lived in completely different worlds but managed to see past this and enjoy each other immensely. She came home from work one summer day and I remember asking her if she would take me to Germany, crazy, she said yes. We went that Christmas and stayed with her family and friends in Berlin for three weeks. She met the love her life, a German chef and I was glad I made it home safe and sound. A few months later, her knight in shining armor came state side to ask for her hand in marriage and by that summer she got rid of everything that did not fit in her suitcase and moved to Germany. I had returned from Germany, in one piece and within a couple of months met J and as I said goodbye to one friend, I said hello to a new one.

I remember making hummus every week while balancing school, work, a boyfriend and all the other bells and whistles of college life. My kitchen was bare-boned and hand me down, my boyfriend's kitchen at the time was even sparser. We figured out how to use potato mashers and forks to smash the chickpeas to a chunky consistency, we used lots of olive oil and spoonfuls of tahnini. It worked, we were young and hungry and probably hung over.


A couple years pass, I am deeply in love with J and we are living in a one bedroom apartment about a mile from that house on Sunset Drive. Still in school, I much happier and healthier with a fresh outlook on life. J makes hummus for a dinner party and it was another sign that he was the one. His hummus was full of roasted vegetables rather then heavy with oils and tahini, it was the best I have ever had.  

Caramelized Onion Hummus

Makes about 3 1/2 cups

Ingredients

  • 1 sweet onion, caramelized
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced and then mashed
  • 2 15-oz cans of garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained and rinsed
  • 2/3 cup of roasted tahini 
  • 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon of salt
  • parsley, chopped for garnish
  • smoked paprika for garnish
Over medium heat cook until caramelized a sweet onion.
 
In a food processor, combine the onion, mashed garlic, garbanzo beans, tahini, lemon juice, 1/2 cup water, and olive oil. Process until smooth. Add salt, starting at a half a teaspoon, to taste.

Spoon into serving dish and sprinkle with toasted chopped parsley.

Serve with crackers, raw vegetables such as carrots or celery, or with pita bread.


**next up: those cute little crackers that I used to inhale this entire batch of hummus. you will love them!

2 comments:

  1. wow - that was a lot of close ups of hummus. looks like I need to get a bit more creative with the photos. i promise to change it up in like the next 15 million years.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being a middle eastern, this hummus is exactly my sort of thing. And you are a very good story teller too :-)

    ReplyDelete

THOUGHTS & COMMENTS.....