Thursday, May 26, 2011

Bread Baking Babes May Stromboli

It is that time of the month again, Bread Baking Babes takes on stromboli for the month of May.

A rather simple bread that can be easily adapted to what ever puts wind up your skirt.

A perfect picnic food, easily transportable, tote it to your favorite outdoor secret summer spot, slice and you have a sandwich.
 

You totally want to know what I put in mine, what puts wind up my skirt?


Lots of cheese and fresh herbs, light on the meat.  Fresh cracked pepper of course.



Follow directions and poke holes in the rolled dough prior to baking, this will make a nice tight roll, one that looks a lot better than mine.


Learn from mistakes. I will read directions. I will read directions. I will read directions.

 Next time.



You really don't want it to look like this.

Make sure you have plenty of people to feed when you make this, it is a foot long sandwich monster.


Adapt. Use the huge gaping hole in the bread to fry an egg in.

Stomboli cradled eggs. Can you imagine?

Problem solved!

Stromboli

Source - adapted from Ultimate Bread by Eric Treuille & Ursula Ferrigno

Ingredients:
2 tsp. dry yeast (1 packet dry yeast...I used fast acting) (7 grams)
1 ¼ c. water (268 grams)
3 ½ c. unbleached flour (470 grams)
1 ½ tsp. salt (11 grams)
3 Tbs. olive oil (38 grams)

For the filling and topping:

8 oz. smoked swiss cheese (226 grams)
3 cloves garlic, minced 8 oz. Prosciutto, sliced thin (226 grams)
4 oz. pepperoni, sliced thin (113 grams)
Handful of fresh basil leaves
~1 tsp. coarse salt
3 sprigs rosemary, stems removed
~1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

Sprinkle yeast into 1 c. of the water, in small bowl. Leave for 5 minutes to then stir to dissolve.

Mix the flour and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in center and pour in dissolved yeast and the oil. Mix in flour from sides of well. Stir in reserved water, as needed, to form a soft, sticky dough.
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth, silky, and elastic...~10 mins. Pour dough in a clean, oiled bowl and cover with clean kitchen towel. Let rise until doubled in size, 1 1/2-2 hours.

Punch down and chafe* for 5 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes.

Shape into a 14" x 8" rectangle. Cover w/ clean towel and let rest another 10 minutes.

Spread your cheeses, meats, garlic and basil evenly over dough. (You can use your own combination of meats and cheeses, or roasted veggies and garlic or whatever you like for filling.) Roll up the dough like a swiss roll, starting at one of the shorter sides, but without rolling too tightly.

Place on oiled baking sheet. Use a skewer or a carving fork to pierce several holes through the dough to the baking sheet. Sprinkle with 1 Tbs. of olive oil, salt, rosemary and pepper.
 
Bake in preheated (400 degrees F) oven for 1 hour, until golden. Drizzle remaining olive oil over top. Slice and serve!!

10 comments:

  1. Oh my heart be still - egg in the hole! How fortunate am I to have just baked this again yesterday ... can I make it last until tomorrow morning ... egg in the hole dinner? Oh why not.

    Your loaf looks perfect! Why heck with the egg in the hole it's totally inspiring.

    Love what puts wind up your skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Egg in the hole! I need someone like you around to make light of all things - including egg in the hole!

    Just try saying egg in the hole without smiling.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious to me. We always have plenty of people around to eat Stromboli...and by plenty I mean 2. And that's almost too many. ;) Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with everyone else - I think that looks delicious! Found your blog through orangette, and I am shaking my head because now I have two blogs to get wonderful recipes from. KILLING ME! Not to mention, your pictures are absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have serious problems with stromboli's... I just keep eating and picking and snacking on them until there is nothing left. Then I cry and want to have another one; looking forward to trying out this recipe, although knowing how to make these could be dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your filling ingredients are gorgeous and I love the idea of an egg cooked in the space surrounded by stromboli. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree! I too, found your blog through orangette (just recently), and have to say that you are one talented food photographer. I love your photos, and am sooo looking forward to trying a recipe of yours. As a matter of fact, maybe I'll try this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! I love your fillings - and to use it for an egg in the hole... inspired!
    Thanks so much for baking with us this month. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  9. Directions schmirections! How would you have used the bread for egg in the hole if you'd followed the directions?

    Your fillings look fabulous. I wish we could find mozzarella that looked like that....

    Thank you for baking with us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lol, I forgot to skewer mine too. ☺ But that is just genius, toad in a hole never sounded so good as with stromboli! Time to whip out my trusty cast iron pan and try it out.

    ReplyDelete

THOUGHTS & COMMENTS.....