Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Rye Bread

We should be taught not to wait for inspiration to start a thing. Action always generates inspiration. Inspiration seldom generates action.
  - Frank Tibolt

The days are getting longer.

Small miracles.

My windows are pushed wide open, the curtains flapping in the breeze. The trees are budding with intention of providing shade in the looming summer months and fruit to sustain our hungry appetites.

Shedding layers, getting climbing gear organized, my bikes will soon be dialed.

I am making plans with J. and we are planning with friends. Our wheels will soon be in full motion, smiles from ear to ear, sun on our shoulders and a fresh breeze on our face.

As the weather improves, the sun becomes a daily occurrence, I find pleasure in the outdoors and spend less time in the kitchen. I still crave healthy food, maybe more in the sunny months, to fuel our adventures.


Wanting to make the most of the days outside while still having nourishing food from our kitchen takes planning and resourcefulness. The healthier we eat, the more energy we have for the outdoors and life in general.


I like to bound from place to place.  I like to have reserves of energy, I need to keep up with my other half and climb half as well as my friend Azusa. I want to be the best person I can while I walk this Earth. I want to be out front and always ready for the next lap. I need good food and I get really hungry after an active day.

This bread is over cooked. It should be a deep chestnut color.
What do I make? Bake? What will this finicky little appetite find satisfaction in?


Bread. Fresh baked bread.


No knead style of bread has little work involved and relies on relatively inactive time. Mix, set aside, bake. With a little forethought, J. and I will come home to fresh bread for quick sandwiches or soup.


No Knead Rye Bread

Source: My Bread, Jim Lahey
Yield: 1 10 inch round loaf
 
Ingredients:
 
2 1/4 cups (300g) bread flour
3/4 cup (100g) rye flour
1 1/3 cups (300g) cool water
1/2 teaspoon (2g) yeast
1¼ teaspoon (8g) salt
olive oil (for coating)
extra rye flour (for dusting)

Equipment: 
 
Two medium mixing bowls
4 to 5 quart pot with lid (Pyrex glass, Le Creuset cast iron, or ceramic)
Wooden Spoon or spatula (optional)
Plastic wrap
Two or three cotton dish towels (not terrycloth)

Process: 
 
Mix all of the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Add water and incorporate by hand or with a wooden spoon or spatula for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Lightly coat the inside of a second medium bowl with olive oil and place the dough in the bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the dough rest 12 to 18 hours, until doubled, at room temperature (approx. 65-72°F).

Remove the dough from the bowl and fold once or twice. Let the dough rest 15 minutes in the bowl or on the work surface. Next, shape the dough into ball. Generously coat a cotton towel with flour; place the dough seam side down on the towel and dust with flour. Cover the dough with a cotton towel and let rise 1-2 hours at room temperature, until more than doubled in size.

Preheat oven to 475°F. Place the pot in the oven at least 30 minutes prior to baking to preheat. Once the dough has more than doubled in volume, remove the pot from the oven and place the dough in the pot seam side up. Cover with the lid and bake 30 minutes Then remove the lid and bake 15-30 minutes uncovered, until the loaf is nicely browned but not burnt. Remove loaf with pot holders and cool on a wire rack.

Shared with: Bread Baking Day #38

1 comment:

  1. thank you so much for this lovely bread, I defintely agree ... what better than fresh baked bread? I could eat only that!
    recap will be on line in a few hours but will email you then.
    have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete

THOUGHTS & COMMENTS.....