Saturday, October 18, 2008

Getting to know my MCL



In my fun and games on the trail Sunday, I took a spill (one of many to be honest). Upon impact with the ground, I sprained my knee. I now know more specifically that I strained my MCL. Basically, my knee looks like a grapefruit, it is incredibly stiff and I haven't left my seat in my office for three days (besides moving to the couch) in the evenings. It should heal in two weeks with a speedy recovery. I feel pretty fortunate that it wasn't a tear or a break. I am also incredibly glad that it happened at the end of the trail so I could ride the better part of it and it was relatively easy for us to gimp out.
I have been talking about taking some time off for some time now, well here is my opportunity. My body is getting some proper rest like it or not.
A big hug and love goes to John for being so patient getting off the trail, and for all the support these last couple of days. From cooking me dinner to helping me get around to icing more than I want to. What a great catch!

Rehab:
Well, with the research I have done, I should have gotten on a stationary bike with ZERO resistance a couple of days ago to prevent loss of motion. I have been resting all week, icing and electro therapy. i feel that it is healing and closer to resuming normal activity. Today I had a successful visit with a new chiropractor who did a very through examination of my knee. It was a pleasure and welcome relieve to have someone really concerned and take time out of their day to willing perform a second opinion. I learned that since this is the second major time this has happened it is likely to continue to happen. Each time the ligament gets weaker. At least it is not major tear and just a strain at the time being. There is a secondary ( I don't know how else to describe it) side effect. There seems to be pain in my knee, like bone rubbing bone. This is common in knee injuries, it is the next thing to research. This is going to be the pain that holds me back.

Rehab:

Stationary Bike: Zero Resistance





HEEL SLIDE - Sit on a firm surface with your legs straight out in front of you. Slowly slide the heel of your injured leg toward your buttocks by pulling your knee to your chest as you slide. Return to the starting position. Repeat 20 times.

SITTING HIP ABDUCTION ISOMETRICS - Sit with your kneees bent 90 degrees, a pillow placed between your knees, and your feet flat on the floor. Squeeze the pillow for 5 seconds and then relax. Repeat 20 times

STRAIGHT LEG RAISE - Sit on the floor with your injured leg straight and your other leg bent, with your foot flat on the floor. Move the toes of your injured leg toward you as far as you can, while pressing the back of your knee down and tightening the muscles on the top of your thigh. Raise your leg 6-8 inches off the floor and hold for 5 seconds. Slowly lower it back to the floor. Repeat 20 times. PRONE KNEE FLEXION - Lie on your stomach with a towel rolled up underneath your injured thigh, just above your knee. Slowly bend your knee and try to touch your buttock with your heel. Return to the starting position. You can challenge yourself by wearing ankle weights. Repeat 20 times.HIP ADDUCTION, SIDELYING - Lie on your injured side. Keep your injured leg straight. Bend your uninjured leg and place your foot in front of your injured leg. Raise your injured leg as far as you can and hold it there for 5 seconds. Keep your hips still while you are lifting your leg. Hold this position for 5 seconds, then slowly lower your leg. Repeat 20 times.WALL SQUAT - Stand with your back, shoulders, and head against a wall and look straight ahead. Keep your shoulders relaxed and your feet one foot away from the wall, a shoulder's width apart. Keeping your head against the wall, slowly squat until you are almost in a sitting position. Your thighs will not yet be parellel to the floor. Hold this position for 10 seconds. Slowly slide back up. Repeat 20 times.

RESISTED THERA-BAND EXERCISES
A. RESISTED DORSIFLEXION - sitting with your leg out straight and your foot near a door, wrap the tubing around the ball of your foot. Anchor the other end of the tubing to the door by tying a knot in the tubing, slipping it between the door and the frame, and closing the door. Pull your toes toward your face. Return slowly to the starting position. Repeat 10 times, and do 3 sets of 10.
B. RESISTED PLANTAR FLEXION - sitting with your leg outstretched, loop the middle section of the tubing around the ball of your foot. Hold the ends of the tubing in both hands. Gently press the ball of your foot down, and point your toes, stretching the THERA-BAND. Return to the starting position. Repeat 10 times, and do 3 sets of 10
C. RESISTED INVERSION - Sit with your legs straight out and cross your uninjured leg over your injured ankle. Wrap the tubing around the ball of your injured foot and then loop it around your uninjured foot so that the THERA-BAND is anchored at one end. Hold the other end of the THERA-BAND in your hand. Turn your injured foot inward and upward. This will stretch the tubing. Return to the starting position. Repeat 10 times, and do 3 sets of 10.
D. RESISTED EVERSION - Sit with both legs stretched out in front of you, with your feet about a shoulder's width apart. Tie a loop in one end of the THERA-BAND. Put your injured foot through the loop so that the tubing goes around the arch of that foot and wraps around the outside of the uninjured foot. Hold on to the other end of the tubing with your hand to provide tension. Turn your injured foot up and out. Make sure you keep your uninjured foot still so that it will allow the tubing to stretch as you move your injured foot. Return to the starting position. Repeat 10 times, and do 3 sets of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment

THOUGHTS & COMMENTS.....